[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Fired, but need help

Patti,

> This weekend the weather held out so I was finally able to achieve first
> light.  Results after safety gap, RSG, secondary height and toroid
> adjustments was 68" to a ground rod suspended on a ladder.  I did have a
> number of strike rail hits, so I raised the toroid up to a height of 18"

Congratulations !  !  Wish I had this problem with NST and SW caps ! !

> I'm getting numerous strikes along the outside of the secondary, starting
> with the top winding to the bottom winding.  Also I suffered some damage
>
>   Secondary: 1000 turns of 22 AWG magnet wire wound on a 10.5 inch PVC duct
>   that was coated with .125 inches of polyurethane before winding for a
>total winding length of 32 inches.  wire measures .032 in diam.  Coated with
>1/16" of polyurethane.

Sounds like plain old fashion "too much voltage" syndrome, your TC can spark
more than twice the length of its secondary.  The more damage it takes, the
weaker it will become.  You could clean and repair the secondary, then take
it easy, it may live much longer.  This same syndrome finally consumed my
first TC.  I would recommend a taller secondary coil.  1000 turns of #18
would be about 50 in., of course this will change tuning and coupling.  Some
TC veterans may have other ideas.

Anyway congratulations on an excellent First Light !!

Will