[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: toroids

 Original Poster: "Dale, Martin" <martin.dale-at-ntu.ac.uk>

>Yes, I've used 6" stainless steel chimney liner pipe for my 24" toroid.
> I can't say it was easy to work with though, but I managed it! It bends ok
>provided you work it round a large mandrel of some sort that is only slightly
>smaller than the intended inside diameter. The main problems were in getting
>the ends to meet up and keep from
SNIP

 Hi Bob, Martin

How about using 4 90° elbows. You can get these in smooth, pre bent form. This
wonīt give you a real circle, but itīs a toroid none the less. Just dig out
your trusty TIG welder (or go to a tig place) and weld a nice bead around each
joint. If you or they can weld, all you need to do is grab your angle grinder
and some sandpaper and make the weld nice and smooth. You could even go to the
trouble of polishing it.

This gives you a mirror smooth surface, able to store a maximum charge.
And you wouldnīt have to gash up your fingers or go to the trouble of bending
straight SS pipe

Just some thoughts

coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard