[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: capacitor safety gaps

Hi Doug,

SNIP
 If you want to know how I calculated it, I took the 60 mil figure,
 multiplied it by 450V/mil, divided it by 30V/mil, and got 900 mils or .9".

 Dg: gap distance in mils
 Wd: dielectric width in mils
 Bd: dielectric breakdown per mil
 Bg: gap breakdown per mil (varies with atmospheric conditions)
 Dg = Bd * Wd / Bg

Whew. That sounds like going from California to Alaska via Moskow and Africa.
Why didnīt you just use the volts per inch factor for the spark gap? There are
even formulas/tables out there that consider atmospheric and barometric
conditions.

BTW: you can go to 500v/mil poly. Itīs safe enough as my PE destruction
testing has shown me.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard