[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: capacitor safety gaps

If you want to cut it close, set the gap at .9 inches. That'll break down,
in most locales, at precisely 27 kV, which is your cap's rating (poly
breaks down at 450V/mil). To be safe, set it at .8 or so. However, I don't
have experience with this, so don't trust me too much!

If you want to know how I calculated it, I took the 60 mil figure,
multiplied it by 450V/mil, divided it by 30V/mil, and got 900 mils or .9".

Dg: gap distance in mils
Wd: dielectric width in mils
Bd: dielectric breakdown per mil
Bg: gap breakdown per mil (varies with atmospheric conditions)
Dg = Bd * Wd / Bg

--
           --Mr. Postman (Doug Brunner)
                <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>