[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Important questions...

"to: Sam

Avoid polyurethane -- after a year it will start cracking with changing
temps.  Bullseye brand (or equiv.) clear shellac offers good moisture
protection and will stretch to prevent cracking.  Dolph's AC-43
synthetic
HV air dry varnish works best on enameled magnet wire.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net"

	Shellac (I like the look of orange Bullseye brand, which is becoming
quite expensive) has always worked fine for me, even on cardboard tubes,
with which I've had good luck..  If the form is small enough to go into
the oven, I usually bake it for a couple of hours at as close the
charring temperature as I dare, then coat it inside and out while still
warm.  Repeating this a couple of times gives a nice, rigid coil form.
It is often possible to peel a couple of the inner layers out of the
tube, giving a nice thin form.

	I've seen shellac denegrated here, with polyurethane preferred.  I
haven't observed the cracking you report, but it doesn't seem to work
any better than the shellac.

Ed