[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: toroids

Hi Bob,
         Yes, I've used 6" stainless steel chimney liner pipe for my 24"
toroid.
I can't say it was easy to work with though, but I managed it!
It bends ok provided you work it round a large mandrel of some sort that
is only slightly smaller than the intended inside diameter.
The main problems were in getting the ends to meet up and keep from
slashing your hands to ribbons on the razor sharp edges!
I overwound the pipe into a big spiral and then cut the ends flush using
fine, sharp tin-snips.
I used a 2" wide strip of 18g Ali bent into a ring to fit inside the cut
end of the pipe and pop riveted it in, then brought the other end to it
and did likewise.
A disk of 18g Ali was cut for the centre, and fixed by parallel self
tapping screws into the toroid to hold it in place
I covered the whole thing ali foil tape to finish it off.
It was definitely worth it though. I nearly doubled my spark length (to
4ft)
I found it useful to keep the old 3x14" toroid underneath the new one to
prevent sparks issuing from the top turn of the coil.
The new toroid tuned in 2 1/2 turns up on the primary from the original
position (6th turn)