[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Salvage!

	Because I am a student and run on very low budget, I have tried winding
coils with the wire
from MOTs with some sucess. To get the bobbin of wire off the core, give
the core of the
transformer, give the transformer some hard blows with a hammer around
where it is welded together, and it should
fall apart cleanly. The wire is usually shellaced up, and you should use a
winding jig, with something like a
small folded piece of sheet metal in a vise to direct the wire onto the
form and flay off the
varnish. If you use your hands, you will be cut up into ribbons by the
varnished wire. It is a bit
easier to use fresh wire, but much more expensive. One of these windings
has enough wire to
wind about 20" on a 4" diam. form.
	Carl