[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Salvage!

At 10:51 04/10/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Original Poster: "chris morgan" <crmorgan-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>

>I was lookin at the MOT I pulled out of my aunt's dearly departed
>microwave, and couldn't help but to notice that the secondary is wound
>with a wire just a bit unde 22 guage.  Does anyone know if this is
>sutable for a secondary coil, because if it is, adn I can't get more to
>build a power supply, its days are numbered.  Mabee if I get REAL
>desperate I'll have a free tesla coil.

Chris,
	I tried this trick on 3 different MOT transformers. I ended up with badly
cut hands and a big pile of scrap copper wire.
You can try it but it would be better to keep the transformer for a current
limiter when you need one. As a source of wire I don't recommend it. It is
almost impossible to get the winding off the core without trashing it. If
you want cheap (free) wire try the degaussing coils from old TV sets. They
are the two coils wrapped around the front end of the tube, they usually
unclip quite easily and look like one thick cable. If you carefully spilt
the plastic you will find some 22/24 AWG aluminium wire inside.

bob golding