[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

My Pig

Greg wrote:

>Original Poster: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
>> Original Poster: "Bill the arcstarter" <arcstarter-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>>
>> Chris,
>>  I bought my 300 lb 19200 volts 10KVA pole pig for $94 +$70 s/h from
>> Austin International: http://www.austinintl-dot-com
>
>Hey Bill, could you tell me the OD's on that xfmr?
>That's just what I'm looking for.

Here is all I know about my pig:
300 lbs, 13 gals of oil. 10KVA.
Marked 33200 GRDY/19200.  Single HV output, with return to case.
120-0-120 lv input lugs.  The "0" lug is tied to the case externally.
Applying 240v produces 19200 from the HV lead to the can.
Diameter is 19 inches
The can's height is 27 inches, but the huge HV insulator puts the total
height at ~39 inches.
1.79% imp.
Mfg in 1983, non pcb.
150KV BIL.

What is the %imp figure used for??

Inside the can, you can see the core, which appears to be about 6 x 12 x
12 inches.  Someone suggested I remove the core and place it in a
smaller package, still under oil.  This would reduce the weight
substantially while still giving me more than enough insulation
resistance and peak (overloaded!) power (since it's still under oil).

Just a word of warning - Austin Intl told me this thing was 125 lbs.
That almost made for a bad scene, as I had originally had it shipped to
my house (no loading bay, sorry).  I had to call the carrier and
re-direct it to the receiving dock where I work, where it was delivered
(to the amusement of my fellow employees!).  I came back at night, put
it in my pickup and took it home, where I was able to unload it with a
small crane-arm bolted to the bed of the truck.

That's all!  I still haven't pushed any substantial amt of power throug
the thing, perhaps <1000 watts for a Jacob's, etc.

-Bill the arcstarter
Starting arcs in Cinci, OH
http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160