[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: homemade ferrite torroid

In a message dated 10/2/98 8:04:56 PM Mountain Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I rumaged around until I found some 16gauge galvanized steel wire.
>  > Basicly, I just wound it around into a circle and covered it
>  > w/electrical tape.  Has anyone built these before?  How do they compare
>  > to bought toroids, especialy in regard to rf chokes?
>  >
 Chris,
    I once tore apart a small variac in hopes of using the toroid for a choke.
I found that this particular toroid was just a coiled steel band.  I got me
thinking that one could use the banding meant for holding stuff on pallets for
a similar toroid since it is coated with some kind of black paint/varnish. You
could probably talk a lumberyard out of enough to try it without having to buy
a whole roll.  I don't know if the zinc coating is more or less conducting
than the steel wire itself or whether the contact resistance is enough to stop
eddy currents in your toroid.  Have you tried it yet?  Does it get hot?  If
so, you might want to try my notion.  I have not tried this so I cannot
guarantee it will work, but it seems like it should.  The shipping dept. at
work has some, so maybe I will check it out in the near future.
Mike H.