[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Self-built power transformer

Hi Doug,
          Some important things about your proposal:

> Original Poster: Doug Brunner <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> What I meant is, it's wound on a solid iron core and placed in a pipe to
> contain
> the oil and provide magnetic coupling.

First off, eddy current losses will be high as the core is one big
shorted turn. So is the pipe you are going to surround it with. It
should be laminated. It's also a rather lossy shorted turn as iron is
not a good conductor so expect some heating. Next, plain old iron
will exhibit rather high hysteresis losses as it is easily magnetized
and tends to stay that way. Thirdly, coupling will be very poor as
there are huge end-end airgaps. Expect a low induction factor (= lots
of turns required for primary and secondary windings to avoid
saturation). It will also exhibit a lot of leakage inductance. I
agree with Erik. I don't think this is a good proposition.

Malcolm