[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RSG's different shape electrodes

> Original Poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <mopar-at-uswest-dot-net>

> Thanks for posting the above "important" info. I never before considered
the dwell
> time and speed of the ratating electrodes in this manner. Increasing
rotating
> electrodes to increase bps may not be the optimum design. Higher RPM
might be
> better. There must be conditions existing between  RPM and breaks which
can cause
> too-little or too-much dwell affecting many factors and ultimately
> performance.
> Given the rpm, breaks, async, sync, dwell, charge time, bang time,
quenching,
> gapping, efficiency, etc... the RSG can be a very complex beast.

Indeed...for those reasons and SCALING LAWS as well,
solid state alternatives are all the more attractive.

Consider for fun, the design of a 1MW spark gap:
Vpri = 150,000V
Ipri =   6,800A
BPS(max) = 300
I would estimate that approx 30 series (moving) breaks
and over 300 HP would be required for proper quenching.
--

-GL
www.lod-dot-org