[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: IMPORTANT: RESEARCH ON WHAT?

  Marco -

 Kudos to you and the University of Helsinki for selecting Tesla coils as a
research project. This type of research could have important results mainly
because we know so little about ultra high voltage effects. Look what
happened to the simple diode. The research of the diode resulted in the
creation of the transitor and spawned the colossal computer industry.

  Your main problem will be in deciding on whether to research spark
producing Tesla coils or Tesla coils that are used as Tesla intended. Tesla
invented the air core resonant transformer to produce ultra high voltages at
high power for transmission of electrical currents thru the ionosphere. NASA
is doing something similar with the tether on the space shuttle. This type
of Tesla coil may have a completely different design than what is being used
today. This type of research might be more conducive to PhD recognition.

  For either type of project the primary challenge is to find a method to
correctly measure the TC output voltage and power. The output is
intermittent which complicates the measurement. This is a mandatory
requirement if sensible comparisons of different TC configurations are to be
made. Using sparks to measure the output is not very desireable because of
the uncertainty of determining the exact consumption of electrical energy.
Without a proper method of measuring the output it is not possible to find
the optimum parameters for the Tesla coil.

  Since the thirties most of the research on power transformers over one
million volts has been for 50 or 60 Hz currents. These are TRANSFORMATION
type and the output voltages can be accurately determined. However, research
on RESONANT transformers such as Tesla coils during this time has been
mostly by amateurs and only spark lengths are being used to measure the
outputs. Oscilloscope waveforms are used but do not give complete
information.

  A place to start might be with studying the 5 million volt coil that was
designed, built, and tested in the thirties by the three scientists, G.
Breit, M.A. Tuve, and O. Dahl. I briefly mention this coil with some calcs
on its power magnification in one of my books.

  Best of luck in your new venture and we will all be interested in hearing
of your progress.

  John Couture