[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Off-axis primary inductance

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 20:25:12 -0700 in the Tesla List
<Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com> wrote:

>In a message dated 11/23/98 6:01:21 AM Mountain Standard Time,
>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>>The practical conclusion is that it IS technically acceptable to
>>place a high quality air core tuning coil in series with the Tesla coil

>>primary coil in order to achieve 'fine tuning' without throwing away
hard
>>won RF tank circuit energy!
>>
>>Real valuable knowledge gleaned by the actual doing.
>>
>>Robert W. Stephens

>Robert,
>   Thanks for that insightful post.  It makes perfect sense that you
>don't really waste the tank circuit energy so long as your coupling
still
>transfers that energy to the secondary.  I can imagine that you might
have to
>increase the coupling slightly to adjust for the slight loss in the
mutual
>inductance, but that shouldn't make too much difference.  I will design
this into
>my next coil since the primary is the one thing left to do.
>Mike

Actualy if you guys took a good look at the photos of Dr. Tesla's
colorado spring coil you would see that he to used an off-axis tunable
inductor to finetune his primary and secondary circuits. That is probably
how he was able to get such spectacular results with such a comparably
poor design.

                               Alfred A. Skrocki
                          Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-JUNO-dot-com
                 Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at:
                  http://WWW.GeoCities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/6251

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]