[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: IMPORTANT: RESEARCH ON WHAT?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <terryf-at-verinet-dot-com>
>
> Hi Marco,
>
> At 09:10 AM 11/23/98 +0200, you wrote:
> >From: Marco Denicolai-at-MARTIS on 23.11.98 09:10
> >Subject:  IMPORTANT: RESEARCH ON WHAT?
> >
> >To make a long story brief, I'll just tell you that the High Voltage
> >Institute of Helsinki (part of the Helsinki University of Technology) is
> >interested in Tesla Coils.
>
> Yes!! :-))
>

> >They are going to support me financially in order to build one (or more)
> >Tesla Coils and to make extensive research on it. That will constitute my
> >PhD thesis.
>
> Perfect !!$$!!
>

> >They have got facilities and measurement instruments we have always been
> >dreaming about and they are researching only about high voltage and related
> >topics.
>
> I would be interested in knowing details of this equipment and what it can
> do.  I have some equipment myself but I am always willing to "borrow" any
> good ideas :-)  You can send me details off the list if you wish and if you
> have time...
>

> >Having such a great opportunity I have to lay down a proposal about WHAT I
> >am going to research about and here I need YOUR help, because, after all, I
> >am just a beginner who has built one TC only.
> >
> >My questions are:
> >
> >1. What is still not understood about Tesla Coils and what would be worth
> >investigating about? In that laboratory I am confident I could, for
> >instance, measure all the parameters of a TC you have always been dreaming
> >about and try to make a model of it.
>
> I have done much in this area.  However, I have never gotten around to
> writing any really good paper or anything on this.  We really could use a
> definitive paper or document (book) that would once and for all show
> voltage levels, current, phases, etc. that show what is really going on.  A
> really good theory book on Tesla coils would document what some of us know
> but have never really explained well to the masses.  I don't know what your
> time line is but I may beat you to this.  I am sure our results would
> perfectly agree :-))  The theory is changing so fast many have given up on
> trying to write down the "state of the art" at this time in Tesla coils
> history.
>
> Ok here goes on the areas "I" don't even understand :-))
>
> 1.      Self capacitance - What is it?  What is the field distribution?
What
> are the time varying fields involved?  How does this interact with the top
> terminal?  During an arc, does this energy reach the arc through the
> secondary coil or does it couple capacitively with the top terminal to
> reach the arc discharge?  Basically fields, fields, and fields.  Especially
> when the arc is involved.
>
> 2.      Standing waves - I have never seen their effects in a spark
discharge
> coil.  However, do they exist in a tube type CW coil?  Do these standing
> wave contribute in the first microseconds after ignition of the gap to help
> build up voltage?  Are the losses to the arc responsible for their
> suppression, or is the distribution of the self capacitance responsible, or
> is the time too short for them to develop?
>
> 3.      Spark gaps - What is the nature of the first huge current spikes
when
> the gap first fires?  What voltages are needed to fire very small gaps?
> :-))  Anything that could be done in quantifying losses.  We know mulitgaps
> help quenching and give better output.  However, there is a point where too
> many gaps eat so much power that the benefits of first notch quenching are
> lost to gap losses.  A better gap?  There is 100 years of research on how
> to make the best gap but given what we have now, another year couldn't
> hurt!  Zero crossing spikes are a pretty unknown area too (apparently, I
> was the first person to ever notice them and that was like 8 months ago!).
>
> 4.      Arcs - Frequency, power, propagation, IMPEDANCE (for us
modelers), how
> do they grow and how do we "feed" them.  Arcs are the last frontier in a
> way.  They are difficult to measure and more difficult to really understand
> in a way that is usable to create bigger ones.  Any definitive data is very
> valuable to use.  a detailed study of the Tesla coils arcs would be a very
> valuable area and one which I would concentrate on.
>
> 5.      Human factors - Do taking arcs to the arm (or head :-)) hurt us??
 For
> many years we thought not.  However, now-a-days we avoid them like the
> plague.  The recent posts on this are very interesting and suggest that
> arcs are not at all good for us.
>
> 6.      Many other areas too.  Go to where your heart and interests lead
you...

> >2. Would it be more challenging instead of a 2-coil TC to build and measure
> >a 3-coil TC (Magnifier)?
>
> 2 coil systems are "in" and their analysis is of most use.  Magnifiers
> appear to be more simple and straight forward that was originally thought.
> However, your research may lead you toward them...
>

> >3. What you would start researchin about, if you were me?
>
> First build a new coil!  My research coil is big, durable, repairable, and
> easy to quantify.  It is big and can be probed easily.  Having a good big
> solid coil is very important in your work.  If something blows, you will
> need to repair it to be identical to the original so your new tests will
> agree with your old results.  Size is important to be sure that probes will
> not mess it up too bad.
>
> Test your "test" equipment!  All that fancy high voltage instrumentation
> may look great but it might not be worth -at-$#%^-at-.  Be darn sure that the
> theory, construction, and operation of that equipment is sound and can be
> trusted.  Some of that stuff was designed in the 20s and may not work to
> modern standards.  I would test the instruments against each other to be
> sure that are up to snuff.  Have basic instruments calibrated and tested to
> be absolutely sure they are up to snuff.
>
> Get your "system" of note taking, reporting, and all that stuff in order.
>
> Basically, start out by being sure your off to a good start!
>

> >P.S. I promise I'll keep the list all the time constantly informed about
> >results and findings, but please help me to find a good subject. I don't
> >want to discover something that has already been known by the majority of
> >you. Instead I think some of you could have some technical questions
> >bothering but no possibility to find answers for missing of instrumentation
> >or facilities.
>
> It is important for you to realize that you will be the first person in
> history (as far as I know) to have a Ph.D. in Tesla coils!  You will be the
> world's "expert" in a way, like it or not.  You should be thinking of
> writing the "definitive" Tesla coil book, if not now, someday.  Tesla's
> Colorado Springs Notes is sort of a bible to our endeavors but those
> reading it will realize it is basically all we have for a "bible" (the
> TCBOR tapes are right up there too!).  It really is a mess (the notes not
> the tapes) of very bad theory but a few nice sparks! :-)  Be prepared for
> the giant endeavor you are about to undertake.  And always remember - You
> have a lot to learn!!
>
> Of course, if you get in a jam... just asks all of us!!!
>
> Best of luck in this wonderful opportunity.  We will help in any way we can.

> [...]

I agree with Terry's points of starting with a good solid coil design. I
also like his suggested areas of research. My only additional
suggestions are to get a copy of "The Inventions, Researches and
Writings of Nicola Tesla"  by Thomas Commerford Martin. Read and study
the chapter on High Frequency and High Potential Currents.

Also Read Richard P. Feynman's book; "Six Easy Peices" This might be of
use when you lay out the tests and measurments. Dr. Feynman's approach
to physics is easy reading and might shed some light on how deep you
want to go using the laws of physics within your research.

Best of luck,

Cliff