[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Interesting bit of info on spark gaps and UV

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Gregory R. Hunter" <ghunter-at-enterprise-dot-net>
>
> "Sounds interesting - how about a small sync motor with a disk on the
> shaft.  A hole in the disk allows UV from a carbon arc to pass through
> the disk at the appropriate instant fall onto the gap element!  That
> would be easy to build! (and it might even work)
>
> -Bill
> "
>
> This really is an interesting idea.  Can anyone list the various possible
> sources of UV light suitable for this triggered spark gap application (arc
> lamps, etc.)?  I'm seeking practical, compact, and affordable light
> sources--no UV lasers please.
>
> Greg
Try he small germicidal UV bulbs used for sterilization and for erasing
EPROM's would do. Shortwave UV (lots of energy per photon). Cheap, etc.
I have a little prom eraser with one in it that cost less than $20.
--
Jim Lux                               Jet Propulsion Laboratory
ofc: 818/354-2075     114-B16         Mail Stop 161-213