[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Current limiting

At 09:41 PM 11/21/1998 -0700, you wrote:
>Original Poster: mel wise <mwise44-at-flash-dot-net>
>
>Can someone one tell me what the best kind of current limiting I can get
>at a fairly small price. I do not have a variac. I do not have a welder.
>But I can get hold of some 1500w quartz heater elements. Will they work?
>I want to limit my transfomer output to 3kw, will two of these elements
>give me that rating? Can these elements even be used? Any and all input
>would be greatly apprieciated.
>
>Thanks
>Chris

There is some experimental evidence that indicates that a couple of MOT's
may work, in combination with heater elements, to effectively ballast a pig
or PT transformer.  It would depend upon which type you have; it confuses
me why you can't afford ballast and have the $$$ to buy a high-current
power source-- or perhaps you found it surplus.  One way or another, you
will probably need both resistive and inductive ballast, simply one or the
other tends to create either massive losses or mains resonance and gap
malfunction.
			-Mike