[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Low voltage sparkgaps for ignition coil driver...

Hi James, all

 Original Poster: "James" <elgersmad-at-email.msn-dot-com>

     I'm surprized that you didn't think of using just a spark gap that was
 rated, or just gapping a spark plug 20v/mil then run it through the primary.
 Dielectric of air = 20volts to the millimeter.

Oops! I think you made a few mistakes there.

First of all a (american unit) mil is not eqal to 1mm. A mil is equal to
0.001" The dielectric strength of air is 20k(!!)V per mm not 20v/mil.
Otherwise you wouldn´t need 20kv for a spark to jump across the spark plug
(you could just power it from the 300-600 volt primary voltage of the igntion
system) in your car.

sparkling greets from germany,
Reinhard