[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary coil forms

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Bill Fuller <wfuller-at-home-dot-com>
>
> So, should I bother with coating the coil form with shellac or similar
> coating???

I find that if I spray the PVC pipe with clear acrylic just before
winding, the slight tackiness as it dries helps keep the wires in place
when you have to stop turning, or someone distracts you so the tension
varies, etc.

Lately, I've been winding on a lathe, which turns a bit fast and isn't
variable speed, and, requires engaging the clutch with one hand while
holding the wire in the other, etc. Making the form sticky made the
difference between a nightmare and making it easy.

Next time I have to wind anything, I'll probably build a winding jig
with a variable speed foot pedal with a small motor
--
Jim Lux                               Jet Propulsion Laboratory
ofc: 818/354-2075     114-B16         Mail Stop 161-213