[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

High power HVDC cap design.

  Hello everyone,

 I'm trying to design (and hopefully build) a 500KV DC, 1KJ Marx
generator and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with cap
design. I know this isn't really Tesla-Related, but I guess since Tesla
Coils use high performance capacitors, and a lot of research has gone
into building them, this would be the best palace to look for info...
 Basically I was thinking of charging it with a MOT connected to a 25
stages cascade, outputting about 50KV (comments here would also be
appreciated). Than I could use a 10 stage Marx arrangement to bring the
output to 500KV. The main problem lies in the capacitor construction:
These capacitors are very high power and buying them is out of question
(100Joule capacitors must cost so MUCH).
 But, since they are going to work on DC mode, with no destructive RF or
high BPS (I doubt it could go beyond 10BPS), I figured they could be
made using some cheap, easily obtained dielectric.
 Well, I would like to know if anyone has tried a MARX before and if
anyone has ideas for a good cap design.
 Please contact me off-list at sambarros-at-yahoo-dot-com