[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spinning pipes

Hi Bart,

Sounds like a really interesting aproach to an RSG. From your description it
sounds like it looks similar to a Dirod (electrostatic generator built by A.D.
Moore). Of course yours is switching electrons (not makin em). While reading
your post I came up with (what I think) might be a neat idea. How about
building a dual "cage" setup. I.e. one cage is mounted on the motor and a
second larger cage is mounted around the first. Even with a low number of
electrodes you should be able to get a pretty high BPS rate at a low rotor
rpm. (meaning less damage from thrown electrodes, less balancing problems,
etc). I donŽt have any concrete plans yet, just some thoughts.
Or how about your design with the two rotary disks moving in opposite
directions? This, too, should increase the BPS rate for a given rpm. Or how
about going one step further: Two squirrel cages inside each other spinning in
opposite direction. This should really "up" the BPS rate

IŽll be waiting for some pictures of your construction.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard

Bart wrote:
  Just finished a new RSG. I switched from an 1800 rpm
  sync (120 breaks) to a direct drive variable DC. I was
  thinking about trying something different than the basic
  singular disk with electrode points. I designed and
  built a squirl-cage RSG using ~6" x 1/2" copper pipe.
  There are two disks with 8 pipes. Since the rotational
  force would be great at high rpm, I built this with as
  tight a tolerance as possible. The fixed electrodes are
  5/8" spheres connected to a 5" x 1/2" bolt. Needless to
  say, I've built the RSG within a 1.5" thick wooden case
  just in case. It spins nice without vibration, so far.

  I tried it out tonight. As I was building it, I kept
  thinking this thing is never going to quench like I need
  it to. But to my surprise, it did quite well. The arcs
  were white hot and right into the ceiling of my garage
  at ~2kva. I tried getting the coil as low as possible
  from the top of the garage ceiling which is 4 feet, but
  the arcs just went right up as white and hot as ever
  into the ceiling. Unlike my old RSG, this one is
  producing 1 to 2 arcs per burst where the old one was
  producing many streamers.

  Unfortunately, my garage is too small to run it at full
  power to see what effects the variable drive and RSG is
  capable of. It hasn't snowed yet in my area of
  Minnesota, so maybe I'll get a chance this week to run
  it outside. I did note that this particular RSG produces
  a lot of moving air. The fixed electrodes were still
  cold after a few short runs.

  I'm sure I'm not the first to build such a gap. Probably
  the old timers have either built this type at some point
  in the past or know of others who have. I wonder how
  some of those performed?

  Bart