[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Today's stuff

Terry Fritz wrote:

> It only surfaced arced once.  There is flash from metal that shows most of
> the arcs were from the end of the braid to the nut on the axel shaft.  I
> measured the distance at 1.75 inches!  That works out to about 55kV for DC!

Except that it's not DC, of course.

>  The gap sustained no damage.

I'm glad to hear it.  Just a thoought: any time I've ever used wood of any
sortaround HV, I've always soaked it with polyurethane on a good dry day.
I've
never once had any problems.  But then, I've never put wood in close
proximity to
arcing or high voltage.  I always use a bit of phenolic scrap or other
plastic for the
actual high voltage connections to pass through.

> Sand paper removed the marks in a
> moment and she's good to go again :-)

That's a relief.

> I does look like the voltage was
> really high though.

It may very well have been- it was undoubtedly at least 30kVAC every time the
RF was out of phase with the 60 Hz line, and that's not taking into account
the
possibility of resonant charging.  Some day, I'd really like to either
score a used
HV divider or build one.  I'm talking about a 100kv wide bandwidth design, not
a Fluke probe like we both already have.

> I also reworked Cox's gap.  Replaced the welding wire with sections of
> copper strap (just to make it look better) and realigned all the gaps.  It
> work very well now.

Great!  I think it would be worth trying it again in series with a RQ or
similargap, just to see if it makes a difference. You wouldn't think it
would, but stranger
things have happened.  As Mr. Hull is so fond of saying, "experimentation
before
theory!"

Cheers,
Gomez

--
email: gomez-at-netherworld-dot-com   |   web site: http://www-dot-netherworld-dot-com/~gomez
I use PGP5. My public keys are available from keys.pgp-dot-com, are yours?