[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: VARIAC's -> parallel??

At 17:11 13/11/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>         My friend was talking to an engineer at a variac company the
>other day.
>> He warned against putting variacs in parallel.  Apparently, if the output
>> voltage of each variac is a little different, there will be heavy current
>> flow between the outputs due to the unbalanced voltage.  He had some
>> special choke or something for $100 that would fix this problem and allow
>> them to be put it parallel.  Anybody ever heard this before??
>>
>>         We decided it was ok because we put the ballast resistors on each
>leg of
>> the three phase variac and then combined them.   So the resistors would
>> balance the voltages out before they were joined.  The engineer's concern
>> did seem very valid to us.

 Something else to ponder,

Is it possible, sensible even, to connect two variacs of difference rating
together in some way? I have one 8 amp and one 15 amp at the moment which
is fine for neons. I am getting a 8 kV 250 mA transformer and am worried
that the brushes on the 15 amp variac might not like it too much. 8 amp
variacs are more common than larger ones here in the UK so I could gang 3
of them together if I have to, but for now can I do anything with what I
have got?. Am I missing something really simple here?.

many thanks

bob golding