[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ok.. where am I going wrong

Hi Michael,
After my post last night, I wondered about your hookup. I wonder, is it
possible
for you to provide info on your input setup? Maybe a quick diagram of hookup
components. Also, if you have voltage readings across each component before
the
transformer (resistor, ballast, etc.).  The total current (in series) x the R
value for each component is your voltage drop. I just don't believe you have
this much current passing (maybe you do for some strange reason, but it
doesn't
sound right to me). To calculate the total current, you must account for
inductive reactance (XL) of your ballast and your resistive values (R).
Then you
can find the total impedance of your circuit. V/Z= total current. Z = SQRT
(R^2
+ XL^2). Maybe you can calculate what voltage drop you should be producing
across the resistor.  R x total current.

What I goofed in my first post was the value of current if the 0.4ohm resistor
was the only thing in the circuit. I said 40+A. This was not right, it
would be
near 600A! Of course your limiting current with the ballast, but still, 17V
drop
is huge. It should be proportional to the total current passing through.
This is
why I question the hookup or the measured reading.

Sorry if this was redundant. Thought I should explain why I didn't like my
first
post.
Bart