[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help with Pig Training

Hi Mark,

My comments are interspread throughout your mail.

 OK, so I finished my transformer.  13.5 kV, probably up to 7.5 kVA without
 problems.

 Ballasting with arc-welder (140A max) and 1 ohm resistance (not pure as
 heater wire around ceramic formers).  In line A&V meters.  Short = Jacob's
 ladder pulls about 12-13A ......... quite impressive too!

Yeah, thanks for the pictures of your green resistors. They kind of look like
they are coated with a dragonīs skin. Never seen this kind before (I mean the
wire). BTW:  A Jacobīs Ladder is not a  real short. They effective resistance
of the ladder changes as the arc length varies (i.e.: as it travels up the
ladder)

 Now I'm in the process of building a larger coil & have tried some
 preliminary runs but was getting little joy.  So, thought I would run it
 into my 6" setup as this is now a fairly predictable arrangement.

 Using either static gap, or RSG, get intermittent functioning.  Now this is
 NOT tank firing and intermittent break-out from toroid, this would be
 perfectly understandable.  The TANK fires intermittently with synchronous
 secondary breakout, ie. there will be a short 3-5s burst, then quiet, 1-2s
 burst then quiet, and so on.  Don't get the continuous feed to the
 secondary I used to get with my NST supply, and thus there is no
 establishment of ion channels and reinforcement to longer streamers ......

Hmm, this is an interesting problem. It sounds like your gap is either too
wide or your caps are too big (i.e: it takes a "long" time for the cap to
charge up to sufficient voltage to break down the gap). However I canīt quite
understand this, because your system worked perfectly with the NSTīs. Your
NSTīs put out 15kV (only a little more than your HBP). Or were you running
your NST setup with the widest possible gap (i.e.:on the ragged edge of NST
destruction)? Although I canīt imagine it, maybe you should give your setup a
try without your R-C filter (Maybe 1.1kohm is too high to pass enough power?),
Was your NST setup constructed for resonance charging (i.e. high break rate)?.
If so, this might also be a reason for poorer performance, because your pig
has a totally different impedance value.

I would first try to:

a.) Remove the R-C Filter
b.) Close up the gap
c.) Try and retune (move the tap) the primary coil
d.) Change the cap. (smaller, bigger) a few nF each way.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard