[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Beginners Tesla Coils

>This is definitely not to whine. I want to be quite clear on this point,
>so please don't flame me.  I've learned an enormous amount reading the
>web pages all of you have created, and I've downloaded an enormous amount
>number of text and program files, which have given me a clear enough
>understanding of all the primary issues to successfully build a working
>coil (Now if I could just get the money for the parts!!) but I picked it
>up in pieces from a dozen different sites. There is not a single "recipe"
>out there that addresses all the above issues at once in a clear manner,
>and it would be nice if such a thing was out there.

	There are a variety of reasons why few recipies exist on the internet, and
I will attempt to explain some of them.  First of all, TC'ing requires a
certain amount of trial and error, especially in the tuning process-- so
there is by no means ANY guarantee that 2 coils with identical schematics
and even identical materials will both be immediately successful.  Often,
seemingly non-critical elements like environmental conditions and the
grounding can cause wide variances in performance.  Another reason, which
is perhaps more likely, is that experienced TC'ers assume that their
audience, (other TC'ers) know the basic construction techniques and theory,
which can range from simple mathematical equations, to complex models that
defy the grasp of anyone without some training in engineering and/or
electronics.  In the case of moderate to high power systems, it is
generally unwise for anyone without this experience to attempt it.
	This is not to say that building a Tesla coil of relatively conservative
power, without knowledge of the formulas, and without the proper resources
isn't possible.  The main requirement for this type of experimentation is a
good grasp of electrical safety, and a streak of inventiveness which can
accommodate for the indeterminate elements of Tesla Coil work.
	Regarding your capacitor problem-- you might be better off starting with a
saltwater capacitor, or a glass plate capacitor, the former being the
easiest.  It is possible to build polyethelyne capacitors without a vacuum
pump-- flat plate poly caps don't have to be pumped down--
	You also might try surplus capacitors-- either ceramic or otherwise--
these can be obtained at some surplus shops or hamfests.
	I'm quite certain that there is sufficient information on the internet to
build a Tesla coil, but I would resist the formulaic approach, it tends to
be unfufilling, frustrating, and usually extremely expensive. : )
			--Mike