[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ok.. where am I going wrong

I just finished wiring up my pig-training facility. This means the
welder, 0.4 ohm resistor and 240V feed. I had thought to calibrate the
switch settings on the welder to KVA numbers by taking voltage readings
across the resistor. The infamous V=IR business. Only.. it didn't work.
Or I don't think it did. At one point, I measured a drop of 17V. This works
out to roughly 42 amps. This cannot be. I have 30A fast blow fuses in the
line
and I suspect that they would fry in short order at almost 50% overload.
Therefor, there must be someting I am missing. I assume it is related to the
fact that this is AC.
Could someone help me out here? Tell me where I goofed.

Michael Baumann
Coiler, Homebrewer, Nerd. mycroft-at-access1-dot-net