[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: streamer hit

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <terryf-at-verinet-dot-com>

> I just tried LEDs in a jar of salt water.  The LEDs would not light up.
Not enough power, probably.
> However, I think the current was not high enough.

> I probably should use
> small NE2 style neon bulbs for greater sensitivity.

However, the conductivity of the salt water would make the Efield
magnitude very small (in a V/cm sense), probably so small the neon won't
ionize.

  If the current is
> spread uniformaly throughtout the water column, the current to each bulb
> may be very low.  Or the water could be acting as sort of a faraday cage
> although that "should" not be the case.

Indeed, I suspect this is the case.

>         Perhaps there is some simple indicator that could be added to the
water to
> sense the current flow?

Try small fibers in distilled water or oil as a start.

>  Of course if one had a really big coil you could
> use a snowman and just see were the ice melts... perhaps frozen salt water
> would be good to try?

Oddly, ice is a pretty good insulator, and also doesn't absorb RF well,
which is why defrosting in a microwave is a tricky business. The
absorbtion rises dramatically in the thawed meat, relative to the frozen
(which doesn't absorb much at all). This is why that frozen chicken has
cooked parts and frozen parts simultaneously when thawed. (The defrost
setting on the microwave is pulsed not to reduce the average power, but
to give time for the heat in the already thawed parts to move to the
frozen parts.)

> BTW - If anyone it trying stuff like this, be very careful of the water
> around high voltage.  I, of course, was far back from this experiment!

Oh, you mean that standing in the tub of salt water holding a metal rod
isn't a good idea? I figured that they could examine my internal body
structure at the autopsy, and thereby gain more information for coilers
everywhere....

--
Jim Lux                               Jet Propulsion Laboratory
ofc: 818/354-2075     114-B16         Mail Stop 161-213