[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: streamer hit

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:52:29 -0700 in the Tesla List
Cabbott Sanders <cabbott-at-cyberis-dot-net> wrote:

>Paul, if you stand on a rubber mat and hold something *other* than in
>un insulated screwdriver, you will be fine.   the jolt you feel is a
>result of an arc forming between you and the electrode.  arcs cause
jolts and
>burns. If you insulate yourself properly, you can actually hold on to
your
>toroid while firing at say 2 kwatts.....and let the energy radiate off
of
>your body in waves.....

Frankly unless you are using a low power coil (under 300 watts) your
going to need more insulation than a mat to stop sparks from jumping from
your body to ground! And what do you have against un insulated
screwdrivers, I have used an all steel screwdriver quite often to draw
sparks off most of my coils, over the years, and they have ranged from 25
watts to over 15 kilowatts!

> but may i suggest not to hold your finger out in the air, as this would
cause a streamer >to leap off of it and therefor causing filibration of
the heart, etc....

Not exactly true, Cabbott. A lot is dependant on whether the coil has a
direct path back to the A.C. distribution lines and whether or not the
out put of the coil has much low frequency component. If there is little
or no low frequency component to the output and the coil has no direct
path back to the A.C. distribution lines there is no risk of
fibrillation or an other harm so long as you don't allow the spark to
directly hit the skin. Allowing the spark to hit the skin causes R.F.
burns.

P.S. Cabott, I didn't mean to spell correct your message, the spell
checker started before I had a chance to stop it. I generaly make a
policy not to spell correct others unless it's really bad errors.
                               Alfred A. Skrocki
                          Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-JUNO-dot-com
                 Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at:
                  http://WWW.GeoCities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/6251

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]