[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sync Spark Gap Scope Pic

<< snip
> The gap firing is very stable.  For a neon powered system I think the sync
> rotary is a very good choice.  I still need to experiment with adding a
> series multigap to help quenching.  This should work well acording to the
> work the TCBOR has done in the past.  Rotray gaps do not quench well by
> themelves unles you go to multigaped verions as Richard Hull and others
> have used.       >snip

>      Terry

Terry, all,

In my sync rotary TC work, I saw little difference in streamer
performance between a basic sync-gap, sync-gaps with series
multigaps, and multigapped series-quenching rotary sync-gaps.
All gave 42" sparks from a 12kV, 30ma NST at 120 BPS.

The multigapped rotary quenched on the first or second notch, the
basic sync rotary quenched on the second or third notch with
occasional first notch quench.  The basic sync rotary depended
to a greater degree on heavy streamer loading for good quenching.
The quenching varied as the spark length varied.  At low powers
(low variac settings), the quench occured on the sixth notch with
the basic sync rotary, due to poor streamer loading.

A basic sync rotary can quench well but only when producing
reasonably long or multiple streamers.

I'm enjoying reading about your computer simulations.  I have a
clunky computer, so I can't do much in that area.

John Freau