[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

capacitive or sat.reactor ballast?

Greetings to all,

  I have been browsing around the ballast posts and since I have just
got my first pig (wich will be another post) I need to start thinking
about ballasting.
  I non-coiler suggested that I use capacative ballast, and since I
havent heard of this being done on the list I assume there is something
bad about it...please fill me in. He says that a 60uF cap will pass
about 5A and I could make a parallel bank of them and put em in series
with the pig. I actually just got a 3phase power monitor(as big as two
washmachines!) and it had a bunch of 60uF 330V caps. I assume 330VAC is
sufficient for 240V pig?
  Also, someone else suggested I make a saturable core reactor using the
core of my burnt out 50A variac. Any suggestions?

I always appreciate constructive criticism,
Tristan Stewart, KC2EBM