[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Designing safety from the beginning.

> 1.  Has anyone had any success in using a dead man's type switch as the
> main power switch for the coil.

Yes, I use a 24VAC powered Contactor to control the power to my pig.
both sides of the 240 line are opened by the contactor, which is after my
input line filter

> 2.  Am I right in my assumption that my main power switch should be in
> the AC line leading to my transformer and not on one of the higher
> voltage lines?
Absolutely. Any other idea, and your switch will go poof (but see comment
later)

> 3.  Has anyone successfully and safely discharged the capacitor(s) using
> a switch on the control panel?
I have not, but I found this beast in the H&R Catalog, you might want to
consider it.
HR part number TM93RLY2556 ($149), SPDT 15KVAC-at-125A RMS continous, or
25,000 Amp for 20 microseconds. Activating coil is 208VAC
It is designed for capacitor discharge.
(personally I think this is overkill.. I use a 'jesus stick' and then
short the caps for storage.)

> 5.  With regard to safety, are there any gauges, meter's, etc. which
> should be designed into the control box?
Voltage and current. next on my list after I install the breaker to feed
the coil (just got my 225A welder to limit my pig)

Michael Baumann
Coiler, Homebrewer, Nerd. mycroft-at-access1-dot-net