[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Ballast

Mike,
MOT's , NST's , Arc-welders etc. have a magnetic shunt placed between
the primary and secondary magnetic circuits.
This has the effect of making the transformer look like a primary
inductance, a secondary inductance (this is what we match to our primary
capacitor for maximum output power) and a relatively low mutual
inductance.
This means that if the secondary is shorted the primary looks like an
inductor with some series resistance, the effective inductance is set by
the designer for the required maximum short-circuit current.
hope that helps ... Sulaiman