[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Ballast

Hello Vivian:

I too was able to obtain a UPS unit that was original for an IBM AS400
series main frame computer.  This unit was a 3 phase system and the
transformer was about a 250 pound chunk of back pain!  It is wound with #4
square and rectangular wire and has multiple taps.  I did use this last
summer on my latest coil and it worked quite well for current limiting.
Mine allowed me to select taps, which there were many, to get anywhere from
.56 mh to about 32 mh.  The risk I did assume was not really knowing for
sure where the core might saturate, and cause further excitement.  Your high
inductance will not make it a useable unit as is, but you could consider
creating an inductor based on the core itself and wind to your exact needs.
Since I do not know your power levels and other details, all else would be
simply guessing, so I'll stop here.

Chuck Curran