[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ballast

Vivian Watts wrote:
>    I have just acquired an Uninteruptable Power Supply (UPS) from
>a scrap yard.  The model is an Upsonic 200 A series if that means
>anything to anyone.  Its rated at 2KW for 10 minutes.  Anyway it has
>a large transformer in it which I guess is a step up of 1:2.  I'm
hoping
>to get a pole pig soon and was considering using this a ballast.  The
>inductance comes out at 0.125H on the primary and 0.25H on the
>secondary.  I've heard of people shorting out the secondary on
>welders but surely this then presents zero inductive impedance then.
> Any thoughts?

I'm told most folk use about 2-6 ohms of resistance and about 5-30 mH of
inductance to ballast their pigs.  The transformer you mention sounds
like it has way too much inductance!

Be sure this transformer is *really* a traditional 60/50Hz iron cored
laminated transformer, and not some sort of ferrite core (as part of a
switcher supply found in some of the large UPS units).  I guarantee you
can't use that transformer for ballasting if it is ferrite!

You might try shorting the secondary of that transformer and
re-measuring the inductance of the primary.  That may give you a value
closer to what you need.

Welders are designed to be current limited (usually due to an air gap
/flux leakage in the core etc)  Shorting the output of a welder won't
cause a large primary current to be drawn by it's very design!

Later!
-Bill