[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Halloween night, CP cap {con,de}struction

In a message dated 10/31/98 10:24:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

- big snip -
<<
 In conclusion, the excitement of having the coil work well for once and
 for a long time has outweighed the loss of the caps.  I'm going to expand
 the under coil box to accomodate four home made rolled caps and am pretty
 well through with commercial caps.

 BTW, I estimate that I was running at about 500 breaks/sec (6 electrodes
 turning at about 5000rpm, and somewhere between 10,500 and 11,500 volts,
 based on the variac settings.  (Didn't get to check on the voltage meter
 because of the excitement. :-)

 Chip >>

Chip,

Glad to hear your new secondary is working well.  Real sorry to hear about the
loss of two C.P. commercial caps.  How are your gap electrodes constructed
(safety gap across cap).  I use #10 solid copper wire with 1.0" dia loops on
the ends.  Mine are set at .50".  I also have gotten up to rather high bps,
estimating about 666 bps.  This 5,000 rpm with 8 contacts.  My coil (like
yours it seems) really likes high break rates.  The higher I speed up the
rotary, the better the performance.  It does make me nervous running at 5,000
rpm however, I am concerned about the polycarbonate disk flying apart and am
concerned about blowing the caps - rightfully so I think after your
experiment.

Ed Sonderman