[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Halloween night, CP cap {con,de}struction

No, there was nothing indicating anything about the service conditions
except for voltage (20,000).  There was the capacitance and serial number
indicating TC service, and a 10kv container dielectric strength, but
that's it.

I'm not sure what you mean by failure mode, but I did unwind one of the
bad cells.  It had two spots where things failed.  One area is kind of all
melted together, and as I unwind each layer, I have to pull it apart and
there is material there.  The second spot is a cavity that is hollow.
There is no material here and only the edges are sealed together.  This
cavity is all black from carbonized plastic and oil.  As for the physical
cause such as a pin hole in the dielectric or a piece of dirt on a plate,
I have no idea, nor do I have any idea where to start looking for such a
thing as the evidence has been vaporized.

Chip

<<<< I happen to be a professional failure analysis engineer who has seen
many high power failures (just today! :-)).  Hopefully, I can get some of
the remains from Chip (30 miles away) and determine what the cause of the
failure was.  A group meeting in a few weeks should allow me to see the
horrible remains and determine what went wrong.  From Chip's description,
it sounds like pure over voltage breakdown but the "melted" areas need
personal examination.  Was it instant burning (over voltage) or prolonged
overheating (over dissipation)??  Heating failure is wide spread, starting
in the center and spreading out from the center of the cap pack.  Corona
failure is pronounced at the edges of the plates and other high field
stress areas.  Over voltage is fast and clean (just a boom). - Terry >>>>

 Chip Atkinson
 http://www.pupman-dot-com
 --- If I can't fix it, I can fix it so it can't be fixed --