[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Drilling Stainless Steel

----------
From:  Jim Lux [SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent:  Friday, May 29, 1998 8:41 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Drilling Stainless Steel

> ----------

leaving aside exotica like EDM, lasers, and diamond bits, you might try
heating the spot up with torch and letting it slowly cool. A real problem
with a drill that doesn't cut right through is that it starts to work
harden the metal, which then makes the drill cut slower, etc.

I assume you put some lubricant on the metal before drilling (oil, saliva,
whatever?)?

The other approach is a carbide grinder bit in a dremel or equivalent. For
hard metals, it is usually easier to grind than drill.