[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tesla Coil Optimun Parameters (was Wire length,resonance, Q)

----------
From:  terryf-at-verinet-dot-com [SMTP:terryf-at-verinet-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, May 28, 1998 11:53 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Tesla Coil Optimun Parameters (was Wire length,resonance,  Q)

John,
        As one who lives in both the theoretical and practical world of
Tesla coils, I must disagree.

First your statement "Tesla coil design is empirical meaning both theory and
test results are required."  My dictionary defines empirical as "relying or
based solely on experiment and observation rather than on scientific
principles."

Empirical observations are collected and charted as a predictor when one has
no idea as to the underlying principles involved.  I submit that there a few
things we cannot predict about Tesla coils by calculation based on
principles.  The few remaining "mysteries" are being solved very quickly and
will soon be understood.  The following is a list of what can be found by
calculation or computer simulation to very good accuracy.

Primary coil inductance. - Wheeler's formula is based on empirical data but
modern computer simulations can find the same numbers using known principles
Secondary coil inductance. - Wheeler's formula is based on empirical data
but modern computer simulations can find the same numbers using known principles
Secondary coil self capacitance. - Oops! That one is still based on
empirical data :-)  I bet it won't be for long.
Coupling coefficient. - This solution has not yet been publicly released.
Primary resonant frequency.
Secondary resonant frequency.
All neon transformer and control circuit parameters.
All primary currents and voltages as a function of time.
All secondary currents and voltages as a function of time.
Basic spark gap operation.
Electrostatic fields and breakdown. - Can be modeled by computer although
few coilers do.

Here are the remaining things to be discovered:

The exact nature of the self capacitance.  This will be solved soon.
Spark gap quenching principles. - This is probably months away from being
solved.
The exact nature of how the output sparks affect the system.
The impedance that Tesla coils need to drive to get good sparks.
The dynamic impedance of the output sparks.

        We are very close to being able to design Tesla coils "on paper" to
produce the sparks we want efficiently.  I believe, within a year or so, the
last remaining problems will be pretty much solved.  When they are, a
computer could build and test more coils overnight virtually than we all
could build in our lifetimes.  BTW my latest models use 14th order
differential equations.  Of course, the computer does all the work but those
equations could be printed out with a few days work and a ream of paper. :-)

        I certainly do not mean to disregard the excellent work you and
others have done in collecting Tesla coil data.  For a long time it was all
we had.  However, the "era of mystery" surrounding Tesla coils is quickly
coming to an end.  We have, after all, been working on it for almost 100
years now!

BTW  Now that the theory of standing waves (1/4 waves) in Tesla coils is
falling apart.  I couldn't help noticing that your series of books are the
only ones I have that don't have 1/4 wave theory all through them.  I'll
keep yours! :-)
        I hate to think how many countless days have gone into trying to
figure out why Tesla coils don't match those theories well.  I, like most
others on this list, struggled for years on standing wave theory and never
could figure out why it never was quite right for Tesla coils.  At least
Tesla, who started it, had the same fun we all did with it. :-)

Regards,

        Terry Fritz

terryf-at-verinet-dot-com
        or