[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Measurements of a cap's ESL, ESR (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 17:31:04 -0600
From: terryf-at-verinet-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Measurements of a cap's ESL, ESR (fwd)

Gary and Bill,

        According to my muRata data book, the ESR for NPO and other typical
ceramic leaded caps (low voltage) ranges from 0.05 to 0.2 ohms.  Jennings,
ATC and the High power RF types run at 0.005 to 0.02 ohm.  ESR can be almost
impossible to measure when the Qs get above 1000.  They usually run high RF
currents through them and guess at the Q judging by how hot the caps get.
Skin effects and all the parasitics mess up measurements with plain test
equipment. Usually when we press the high power cap guys for Q numbers the
say greater than 2000.  They really don't know the Qs accurately at all.
Best just to run it and see if it heats up too much.  If you need the
numbers for modeling, look in data books for similar caps.  They all run at
about the same range.  For most uses the ESR can be ignored or a rough guess
will do.  I would guess about 0.1 ohm for the one mentioned.  The other
circuit resitances are probably more significant.

        Terry