[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dayton ham and cheese fest (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 07:01:04 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Dayton ham and cheese fest (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]
<SNIP>
> By far - my best "find" was a 70's vintage Monsanto model 111 1 to 512
> MHz digital freq counter for $10!  The seller said one of the Nixie
> tubes had both the '4' and '5' digit illuminated.
<SNIP>

Nice catch!

<SNIP>

> Does "sloshing" an ignitron ruin it, or would it be OK if you left it
> upright for awhile??  How can these things fail?  They will tolerate
> some truly massive current surges w/o dying.

Ignitrons must be oriented vertically (or mostly vertically). Sloshing
the mercury around shouldn't hurt it any.

<SNIP>

> But the best part was that about 7-8 coilers showed up at the appointed
> time on saturday.  Bert Hickman and I swapped "shrunken quarter"
> stories. Tristian Stewart, R. W. Stevens, and a few other fellows (their
> names elude me) were there as well.  I had fun showing my pictures and
> viewing the even more incredible pics these other guys had!  Kind of
> like a mini-teslathon!
>
> Thanks, everyone, for showing up!  See you next year!
>
> -Bill

All,

I went both Friday and Saturday. Used SB50 and a hat and had absolutely
no sunburn whatsoever - a real first for me since I usually end up
looking like a lobster after only a couple of hours. My best finds
included what appears to be a new 833A with clamps for the base
(filament) connections for $5.00, a HV filament transformer to drive it
for $2.00 (with 2" high insulators), a batch of metal-cased high voltage
caps which appear to be mylar or oil-paper, ranging from 5,000 volts to
30,000 volts for $2 each, a pair of heavy duty 0.005 and 0.002 uF 5KV
mica caps (for a toob coil at $25/pair).

Also got some very nice 4" high ceramic "beehive" feed-thru insulators
($3.50 each), and a new 3A variac for $5.00. Overall, there was really
not a whole lot of high voltage/Tesla type equipment at the Hamvention
compared to the size of the event. I DID manage to get the names of a
contact who had more HV equipment at home that I'll need to follow-up
with.

Had very good visits with about fellow coilers on both days, swapping
"war stories" and viewing each others' pictures. Glenn Cerny, Robert
Stephens and I also had a great visit with Scotty Myers at Piqua. It WAS
sort of like a mini-Teslathon. Hope to see some of you again next year!

-- Bert --