[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil questions from a beginner (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 21:25:46 -0700
From: sickboy <stefan00-at-gte-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Tesla Coil questions from a beginner (fwd)

At 21:32 5/15/98 -0600, you wrote:

> [...]

Sounds Like a plan.

>-What are the advantages/ disadvantages of using 36 vs. 26 gauge wire
>for the secondary?
>I am assuming that with the 36 there would be more windings, and
>therefore a higher output voltage and longer sparks. Is this correct?

No, 36 could not handle the current. 24 or 26 gauge would be your best choice.

>Would a section of 4 inch diameter tubing be better than 2 inch diameter
>tubing for longer sparks?

YES!!

>Generally, what output would I be looking for on a transformer?
>(6-15KV?, 30ma, 60ma+?)

Probably 12-15kv -at- 60ma

>How much improvement would a RQ spark gap show over a spark gap made of
>angle irons and bolts? Would this be overkill for a coil this size?

A small TCBOR (RQ) type SG will give you great prformance increases, and
allow you to run your coil longer.

>What kinds of wire would I use to supply the power to the primary?
>(maybe) Over a cement floor?
>Neon sign wire? Regular 12 gauge wire in electrical conduit?

Neon sign wire will most likely work best at this low current level.

>Will running this in a garage just below a computer and dozens of 3.5
>diskettes do nasty things to the circuitry and/or data stored?
>Will I have to build a Faraday cage?

Should be OK, just remember to turn off your computer.

>Essentially, what would give me the 12-24 inch sparks for the lowest
>cost?
>

>Thanks for any questions you might answer.
>
>-Bob

sickboy AKA Stefan Bishay
KC7SJC
Seattle, WA