[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Hacking the AWG WIRE TABLE (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 08:47:54 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Hacking the AWG WIRE TABLE (fwd)

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Hacking the AWG WIRE TABLE (fwd)
> Date: Tuesday, May 05, 1998 7:26 AM

Wow, all these techniques for finding out the proportionality constant for
a geometric series. I'll throw mine into the ring.

the series is = ConstantA * ConstantB^N

The problem is to find ConstantB.  ConstantB = Nth root of (
HighValue/LowValue)

So, taking the values for #10 and #30 (for example), ConstantB = 20th root
of (.1019/.100).

Most handheld calculators do this in two keystrokes. Or, for an Excel/Basic
equation:

constantB = (highvalue/lowvalue)^(1/N)

Internally, of course, the calculator or compiler probably generates code
to use the identity:

A^B = EXP( B * LN(A))

although, there are other series to calculate powers and roots which are
computationally more efficient.  For instance, using logs to base 2 and
powers of 2 is substantially faster than log base e or 10.