[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Coil Design (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 19:32:02 PST
From: Mad Coiler <tesla_coiler-at-hotmail-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: First Coil Design (fwd)

DJ, just thought I would give you a couple of ideas. I am no pro at
coiling yet - I have only on coil. But with all the parts I have
re-modified and re-built it is about 3 coils.

> but have had trouble locating the G-10 (same as GAROLITE?)
>material for a disk.  The locals don't have a clue so far.  I've seen
it in
>McMaster's.  Any other (cheaper) mail-order sources for a 10" - 12"
disk or
>a 10" x 10" - 12" x 12" sheet?  Best thickness??

I have used 3/8" Lexan (polycarbonate plastic) for the rotor.
Unfortunatley I cannot get my rotory gap to do better than my static gap
so i dont use it. From a local plastic shop I got this peice of Lexan
for $1.50 per pound. The only real disadvantage of Lexan is that it has
a much lower melting temp than G-10 (which I believe is also called
phenolic).

>I have a 5a STACO variable transformer. (Large enough?)  I have access
to a
>10a if necessary.

Hmmm, thats goin to be pushing that variac a little hard. I am using a
7.5 A STACO on my 12kV 60mA neon, and I have to put atleast a 10A fuse
in it or the fuse wont last long (but I only run the coil for short
duration at a time).

>I still need to figure PFC??  Seems to be contrasting arguments over
the
>need for this?

I dont use PFC nor do my coilin freinds, but it might be a good idea and
may reduce the stress on the variac.

>I need to build chokes.  I saw a thread on using the cores from
flybacks.  I
>have several such cores at 4" square by 1/2" diameter.  Is this viable?

Again, I dont use chokes, and have not damaged a neon yet (knock on
wood).

>What changes will be necessary when going from 30ma to 60ma with a
second
>(or third) tranny? (Besides capacitance of the tank circuit...)

When you change the capacitance you must also retune the primary coil.

>Cheap source for high voltage wire?

Regular wire with some non-metalic rubber air hose around it.

>Sorry this is so long but I tried to include all necessary info (as
well as
>fish for some answers <g>).
>
>As my first coil, I want to try as many different methods in
constructing
>each part, hence the different capacitor types, spark gaps etc.  My
thought
>is to try and keep as many parameters as possible variable for
optimization
>later (variable speed motor, secondary height, primary length, etc).
>
>Anything obvious I'm missing here?
>
>Thanks for your time,
>
>dj

Good luck with your first coil, perhaps you will have better luck than I
did. My first coil made 5" sparks ... I was so happy, but know the same
little 3" coil is over two foot arcs.

Tristan Stewart