[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Coil Design (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 01:47:21 -0800
From: djQuecke <djQuecke-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: First Coil Design (fwd)

Thanks for the input.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Sunday, March 29, 1998 1:20 PM

I'll give the drill a try.  I had old slam driver and broke off the handles
(at the weld) beating on these things.

>  Use 1/2 inch G-10 for your RSG project -- be
>sure to have a competent machine shop do the work on a turntable so it is
>accurate and does not vibrate.  The square flyback chokes will work fine
>for the RFC -- use approx 6-8 turns and then in series with a 50 watt, 500
>Ohm resistor (Digi-Key Electronics) just before your xmfr terminals for
>added protection.

Just happen to have a 500 ohm, 175watter, great!

>Be sure to use a ball bearing motor in your RSG -- less
>endplay then a sleeve bearing motor -- the sideways motion could result in
>a rotor explosion.

I hadn't thought to check this, I was so enamored with the transmission.
It's a heavy belt driven affair and cranking a small handle effectively
changes the diameter of one pulley while the second pulley is spring loaded
and adjusts it's diameter in opposition to the first.  I'll have to take a
look at the motor.

>On your RSG try 10 electrodes on a 11.5 dia disk with
>electrodes at 10.5 dia.

I've been curious here.  It would at first seem that the Breaks Per Second
(BPS) was the most important factor and could be achieved with several
different diameters and numbers of electrodes, with a variable speed motor.
Ex. 10 at 1000 rpm or 5 at 2000 rpm.  But now I'm thinking that perhaps once
a break rate is established, Duty Cycle of the electrodes factors in as a
parameter in the electrodes ability to "quench".  Have I got that close.
I'm still not comfortable with my understanding of the term "Quench" as it
used here.

>If you don't want to mess with salt water caps
>and want lighter weight to move your creation around (portable) we
>manufacture some .005 9kV caps (will work at 12 kV for short duty cycles)
>than are very small 1/2 x 1 x 3 1/2 inches for $25 per cap.  You could also
>put them in series-parallel for the 12 kV xmfr.  Very light -- approx 4 oz
>per cap.  Hope this helps out.

I might be interested in these at some point.  Would running 4, 2 parallel
sets of 2 in series double the voltage handling??  Or at least get me to
15kV?

I'll still be building several types of caps so I can see how they are
similar/different than others.  I believe I've read where the discharge
pattern can be quite different when using different types of caps, even when
the values are the same.

>DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

Thanks for your time,

dj