[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dead xray transformer (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 19:43:37 PST
From: Bill the arcstarter <arcstarter-at-hotmail-dot-com>
To: jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Dead xray transformer

Jim, fellow coilers,
 Some comments:

>Perhaps it was a Flash X-ray pulsed unit? These use a small Marx bank
>charged to 100 kV stage voltage to produce very short, intense pulses
>of 300 kV - 1 MV xrays.

I have some info on this process - gleaned from a Westinghouse
Industrial electronics book circa 1944.  I could post it if there is any
great interest...

This process is used these days to examine high speed events such as
munitions detonation, shaped-charges, etc.  I don't know if they still
use a Marx setup, or something with a bit less "jitter" in the firing
delay.

>This is how my Xray unit works. It senses the current in the HV
>secondary (between the two HV windings, near ground potential) and
>then modulates the power going to the filament to adjust the current
>to the nominal 100 mA. Of course, there is all sorts of other stuff
>to start the exposure with a good guess as to the filament current,
>and so on.

Hmm - I don't believe our system does that - its mostly open loop most
of the time.  I'll inquire and let you know.  Initial calibration is
performed using step-wedge exposures, etc, to prove actual KV and MA
measurements of the exposure.