[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Coil Design (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 07:35:04 EST
From: Hollmike <Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: First Coil Design (fwd)

DJ,
    I would suggest using a 1" spacing between the primary and secondary
minimum to prevent arcing.  Others may have better advice on this point.
    I have had good results using aluminum dryer duct and aluminun pie pans as
a toroid.
    I probably wouldn't bother with a rotary gap with the power level you are
planning. It would be more trouble than its worth, I think.  I seem to have
pretty good results with just two gaps-one at each end of my primary(I am
using two neons like the ones you describe).  I guess that the RQ style gap
would be better, but I am not going to change mine yet.
  You will need the 10A variac when going with 2 neons.
   It is probably not worth changing your plans, but I would have found a 5"
pvc pipe for the secondary and used all the available wire.  This would give
about 690 turns and a height of about 18" for 1000 ft of wire.   I would think
that this would make a higher Q secondary as the inductance would be larger
for the amount of wire.  It would also lower your frequency somewhat.  This is
just my preference, so don't go and change your design based on my opinion.
  Best of luck,
Mike Hollingsworth