[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DC on Tesla coil

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Thursday, March 26, 1998 12:06 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: DC on Tesla coil

to: Vivian

On regarding the strange potentials storage.  The basic definition of a
capacitor is a conductor separated by an insulator (dielectric) and then
another conductor.  Sometimes the "other conductor" isn't always a high
visibility item, and that's where the strange properties usually begin.
Any parallel traces on a board would fit this description, but equally
important would be any traces on the opposite side of the board.  With
regard to TC's the primary circuit can store energy especially if you run a
cap in each leg of the power circuit.  This type of circuit is commonly
referred to as an "equi-drive" configuration which denotes caps usually of
equal value in series with each power leg, ie, there is no ground on one
side of the circuit as both legs contain power -- classic example would be
a NST powered coil.  Usually there is no storage when a single cap bank is
used and is only run in series with one leg of the tank circuit. The
secondary circuit consists of each turn which is separated by the
insulation of the wire, hence the definition of a capacitor is again
brought into play.  There is also capacitance to ground, to terminal, and
turn to turn all which contributes to the potential to store energy if the
circuit is switched off an the correct time and the quench was good on the
gap.  Quenching and secondary ringing effects are very important but
equally important is the waveforms themselves especially with regard to
constructive and destructive interference effects which allow powerful
resonant buildups or can severely reduce the output depending on their
exact nature. The standing waves generated are very complex and explains
why careful adjustment of coefficient of coupling is necessary in any
system to achieve optimum outputs.  Coefficient of coupling adjustments and
careful attention to quenching (switch-off) timing usually results in
improved performance in most systems.   The convential TC must be loosely
coupled to prevent the formation of two sideband resonant frequencies which
will beat against the central freq and create potentials at undesireable
points up the sec coil other than the top.  You might read up on this in
the ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook as they discuss it clearly and in great
detail.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

OK
> so far, but the machine always discharged the plane being tested, before
> proceeding to test another.  But now here's the difficult thing, the
other
> power planes retained their charge.  The consequence was that when that
> charged plane came to be tested it blew the electronics away.  Even a
Spice