[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Multi-layered Secondary

----------
From:  Harri Suomalainen [SMTP:haba-at-cc.hut.fi]
Sent:  Tuesday, March 24, 1998 10:49 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Multi-layered Secondary

>> > "Another thought - it is possible to imagine a multi-layer coil
layered
>> > the 'other way', effectively a stack of concentric spirals going
>> > It would however require a lot of ingenuity to figure out how to
>> > actually wind such a beast - any takers?

Winding would not be that hard. One easy way might be winding each
spiral layer between two solid disks and feeding some varnish with
the wire. Once dry it would be a solid pancace. Still, quite a lot of
work.
Nasty stuff at least with smaller wires. ;)

>The "resonance transformer" 1+ MeV x-ray sources developed at GE by
>Charlton in the 30's used just such a coil. A series of 125 air core

Such coils are used even today in some high-voltage transformers. One
example might be pole-pigs which have to be able to take huge overvoltage
becouse of lightning strikes. Such devices are quite often wound as spiral
"disks" and many of those are stacked on same coil form. Proper connection
will allow parasitic capasitances to get large to distribute voltage
gradients
better.

--
Harri Suomalainen     mailto:haba-at-cc.hut.fi

We have phone numbers, why'd we need IP-numbers? - a person in a bus