[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Where do I get Tungsten welding electrodes?

----------
From:  Edward V. Phillips [SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent:  Tuesday, March 24, 1998 1:36 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re:  Where do I get Tungsten welding electrodes?

"Ed,

I have a special cut off saw set up with fixtures to cut the tungsten
studs from full length rod to length within .015" or so. I then grind
the studs to the same length within .005" on either a surface grinder or
upright belt sander with holding fixtures.

Re: Motor end play.

I would much rather spend a few dollars more for a ball bearing motor
and be done with it. Neat, clean and sanitary. Long lasting too! Many
motors only have a shaft exposed on one end, the balls on the ends of
the shaft are going to rub and wear on the mount or shaft or both. It
just isn't worth it for me.

Safe coiling,

Ed"

        Is that a pretty big cut off saw?  Haven't had much luck
trying to cut much smaller tungsten rod with a hand grinded and
cut off wheel; wheel kept disintegrating.......

        Agree with the second paragraph.  Method I suggested
is quick and dirty, but works.  No substitute for the "real
thing", though.

Ed